History of El Terreno
Wealthy citizens, who felt that the old town with the mediaeval alleys and the darksome palaces are too tight and depressing, discovered on the small hill beneath the Bellver castle and the pine forest this place idea for summer residences. From here you have a sea views and the stair which leads directly down to the bay of Can Bàrbara. In this manner this neighbourhood with new villas allured to the wealthy citizens with a lot of light, air, sunshine, pomp gardens and to be very close to city centre, only a few minutes by carriage ride.
Older citizens can tell some anecdotes, such as when King Juan Carlos drove through the small alleys with his moped to meet his love in his love nest. Or how the heels of the black shoes of Gertrude Stein clattered on the stairways.
To begin with the 1950 started a slowly a new tourism. First came Scandinavian who discovered El Terreno and Cala Major. The “Suecos”, like the Swedish were named, brought convertible currencies. The “Suecos”, like the Swedish were named, brought convertible currencies.
Today the quarter experiences a new revival. International schools and nurseries, the idyllic position at the bottom of the Bellver Parc and the closeness to the centre is outstanding.