El Terreno was at the turn of the century the start of Majorca into the modern age, and the first tourist municipality on the island.
Wealthy citizens, who felt that the old town with the mediaeval alleys and the darksome palaces are too tight and depressing, discovered on the small hill beneath the Bellver castle and the pine forest this place idea for summer residences. From here you have a sea views and the stair which leads directly down to the bay of Can Bàrbara. In this manner this neighbourhood with new villas allured to the wealthy citizens with a lot of light, air, sunshine, pomp gardens and to be very close to city centre, only a few minutes by carriage ride.
Very soon the first foreigners followed, all of them illustrious and aesthetes’ guests who rented apartments or houses in the summer time. Artists and authors, such as Santiago Rusiñol, Antoni Ribas, Ruben Darío, Gertrude Stein or Cristòfol Vilella discovered El Terreno for themselves.
Older citizen can tell some anecdotes, such as when King Juan Carlos drove through the small alleys with his moped to meet his love in his love nest. Or how the heels of the black shoes of Gertrude Stein clattered on the stairways.
In the 1930 there was a colored mix of foreigners, British, Germans, French, Hungarians, and Americans. They smoked, danced, drank in the bars and cafes or went swimming in the sea until the Spanish civil war stopped abruptly this joyful dolce vita.
To begin with the 1950 started a slowly a new tourism. First came Scandinavian who discovered El Terreno and Cala Major. The “Suecos”, like the Swedish were named, brought convertible currencies.
With each year the number of tourists grew in Majorca and a building boom started, which influenced the look of the quarter. Where once have been villas with gardens in the Juan Miró Street, have been built blocks of hotels. The new built Paseo Maritimo cut off the cliff from the sea.
Today the quarter experiences a new revival. International schools and nurseries, the idyllic position at the bottom of the Bellver Parc and the closeness to the centre is outstanding.
Further information of the history of El Terreno: